Sunday, March 3, 2013

Whether we admit it or not, free samples are the best part of food shopping (if they are offered). Yesterday, I was lucky enough to browse through Stew Leonards and see everything they sold When I spotted them sampling the brussel sprouts, I knew I had to try them. The lady was kind enough to tell us how she cooked them up!
I kick myself everytime I attempt to make brussel sprouts. They always come out too mushy and I prefer them caralmalized on the outside. After trying the sample, I knew I had to make them at home.

 
2 cups of shaved brussel sprouts
3 cloves of garlic-chopped
 
two tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
1/4 cup of french's fried onions
splash of low-sodium chicken broth.

Heat the olive oil in a pan.
Add the garlic and sautee for five minutes.
Throw in the shaved brussel sprouts and cook for 15 minutes.
When they are tender, add in the onions.
Cook for 5 minutes and proceed to add the splash of chicken broth.

This is the chicken broth I prefer. Only 80mg of sodium!

Keep in pan for additional seven minutes.
Your side dish/snack is ready to be served!

No comments:

Post a Comment