Monday, June 24, 2013

For me, the key component to great meatballs is the sauce that is soaked into the meat, creating a delicious, tangy coating. Obviously texture is important as you wouldn't want the meatballs to be tough and dry, making the eating experience less than desirable. I have become addicted to Trader Joe's meatless meatballs. No, I am not a vegetarian, but how could you resist meatballs that are deliciously flavored and not dry at all?
When I noticed how much sodium my bottled tomato sauce contained, I realized that I could simplify this by whipping up my own concoction. We had a tiny can of unsalted tomato sauce in the pantry and after pouring that into a bowl, I added some spices to give the sauce that extra punch of flavor it needed. This sauce is sweeter than your average Ragu, but it is delicious!
 
Low-sodium tomato sauce
 
1 8 oz can no salt added tomato sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 heaping teaspoon apple jelly
 
 
Mix together the ingredients creating a smooth consistency. Heat up in stove and pour over favorite meatballs. Enjoy!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment