Monday, July 22, 2013

Last night my brother and I were left to fend for ourselves at dinnertime while our parents were out living it up. My brother wanted something quick and easy so we opted for Thai food. Our family has only ever taken out from one restaurant, but due to recommendations from friends, we decided to try out Lemonleaf Grill. Since my brother isn't a fan of spicy foods, curry and all that good stuff, we made it simple; House fried rice, pad see ew and asparagus with mushrooms. While the dishes were palate friendly, I was longing for more flavor. With the leftover white rice from last night, I cooked up some coconut lime fried rice.. SO GOOD. I wanted to make sure the flavors complimented each other without leaving a bitter taste, so after some research, I scripted my recipe.. and I was not left disappointed!
 
Veggie-packed coconut lime fried rice
 
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 teaspoons lime zest
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/2 small onion-diced
1 Fresno chili pepper-ribs and seeds removed and diced
1 egg
few dashes hot sauce
1/4 cup corn
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1/3 cup peas
juice 1/2 lime
2 tablespoons soy sauce
 
1. Heat a skillet with coconut oil until melted. Keep the spoon for later use.
2. Add zest of lime and ginger
3. Cook for a few minutes
4. Add chili pepper and onions
5. cook for ten minutes
6. Make an empty hole in the center of the skillet.
7. Crack egg in small cup and mix together with the same tablespoon you used the coconut oil and add hot sauce.
8. Fill the hole with the egg and scramble.
9. Add corn and cook for 2 minutes.
10. Add rice and mix around for a minute, or until everything is evenly distributed.
11. Add peas and follow with soy sauce. Mix around and cook for a few minutes.
12. Add juice of lime and few more dashes hot sauce. Enjoy!

And dinner from last night:

No comments:

Post a Comment