Thursday, July 18, 2013

This heat is driving me crazy. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love summer, more than any other season. If we owned a pool my feelings may be swayed differently towards this heat wave, but nonetheless it's hottttt. Ok on to the more important part-food!
 Mexican is one of those cuisines that is super fun and flavorful, but the price could be overwhelming. Going out to eat with some friends can easily turn into a $30-$45 affair. Yes that's expensive especially for a cheap person like me. However cooking Mexican food could be just as enjoyable, if not more than eating out. Along with choosing which flavors and heat levels to infuse into your dish, the add-ins are the best part.
           My new addiction is tempeh. It is an alternative to meat, gluten free and yummy. It is a great combination with my Mexican favorite- enchiladas. I mean tons of sauce and ooey-gooey cheese-it can't get much better than that. (Ok so I also love Italian food). Since vegetables are my go-to, I figured why not combine them into a meal that is figure-friendly along with being scrumptious.

Tempeh enchiladas-vegetarian

 

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup corn kernels (preferably fresh)
1 package frozen spinach-thawed and wrung out
1/2 cup onions-chopped
1 package organic tempeh-cut into strips
1 8oz can low-sodium tomato sauce
1 chipotle in adobo-seeded if desired
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon Mrs. dash seasoning blend
1/2 cup Mexican cheese blend
2 flour tortillas


1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Heat olive oil in skillet.
3. Add onions and sauté for 10 minutes
4. Add in corn and cook for another 5 minutes
5. Cook tempeh according to package.
6. Sprinkle garlic powder onto spinach. Add into pan and cook for five minutes.
7. Add tomato sauce, chipotle, cumin and Mrs. Dash seasoning to food processer. Pulse to turn into sauce consistency.
8. Add the vegetable mixture and tempeh into the tortilla and roll it up.
9. Pour the sauce over the tortilla
10. Add cheese and put into oven until cheese melts and bubbles.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment