Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Last night I had an urge to be creative. While stopping over at Fairway, I grabbed the neccessary ingredients to do just that.
I purchased ground turkey, chicken sausage, one green pepper, an onion, and two types of mushrooms... to make a pizza casserole of course!
First I started by browning the ground turkey in the pan. I added garlic powder, oregano, and a little red pepper flake. All the ingredients that we use to top our pizza.
I removed the ground turkey and added the sausage to crisp up a bit. When that finished, I threw in the sliced green pepper and the onion. When they were finished cooking, I added the mushrooms in for five minutes. I returned the meats to the pan and stirred them all together. I incorporated turkey pepperoni (a staple in the Ross household) and let it sit for a couple minutes. I proceeded to stir in the pizza sauce (recipe follows). I chopped up some black olives and my meal was finished.
Although my mom wasn't a big fan, I thought the concept was great and the flavors came together well. I will definitely add some extra seasoning next time, for some extra zip. I must say, I am very proud of my creation!

This is the first recipe I am putting on my blog--I hope you enjoy it!

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 package of ground turkey
garlic powder
oregano
red pepper flakes
2 italian chicken sausages-cut into bite sized pieces.
1 green pepper-sliced
1 onion-diced
a handful of white mushrooms-sliced
a handful of cremini mushrooms-sliced
10 good quality black olives-chopped
15 slices of turkey pepperoni
2 cans of no salt added tomato sauce
2 teaspoons of minced garlic (from the spice isle), you may want to add less if you don't like too strong of garlic flavor. Depends on your liking, you may even want to add more!
2 teaspoons of italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon of minced onion (from the spice isle)

Here is the problem with me sharing my recipes. I tend not to measure, but just sprinkle, toss in. So when explaining how to cook the ground turkey, it may be a little fuzzy.


For the pizza sauce, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. (tomato sauce, minced garlic, minced onion, italian seasoning, and pepper.) I cannot take FULL responsibility for this recipe. In high school I learned how to make it through my food an nutrition class. I did however add the minced onion to give my own spin.

Heat some Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a pan.

Put in the ground turkey. Add some garlic powder, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Then grate in one quarter of a yellow onion for some moisture.
When the turkey is finished cooking up, remove and add in the sausage. Cook until crisp and then remove.
Add in the peppers and onions, and saute for ten-15 minutes. Combine in the mushrooms and cook up for another five. The turkey pepperoni is stirred in last and mix everything together.
Apply the pizza sauce and the olives.  Your dish is ready to be served.
You can sprinkle in some parmesan cheese, or put the casserole in a pan and add mozzarella to the top. Throw it in the oven until the cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment