Wednesday, March 14, 2012

    “Be creative,” is what my dad said to me yesterday referring to dinner. I have been home for a week now and I have already made a couple of meals. I bought pizza dough the other day in the store in hopes of making a pizza. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize that we were out of tomato sauce in the house so I wouldn’t be able to make pizza sauce. So instead, I opted to make a calzone.
    There is a restaurant up at school that makes fantastic calzones. I knew I wouldn’t be able to make one equally as good, but I figured I would try. I looked in the pantry in our house and grabbed a can of mushrooms. I went into the refrigerator and took the turkey pepperoni. I then proceeded to mix the two toppings with mozzarella, which is what would be the filling for the calzone.
    I took the dough out of the fridge and went to work., After retrieving the pizza stone from downstairs I was ready to go. I didn’t realize how difficult it would be to manage the dough., We didn’t have a rolling pin in the house so I took a glass cup and began to stretch out the dough. It was very frustrating at first since the dough was difficult to roll. It kept getting stuck to the cup. Finally, I managed to roll the dough out big enough to make a decent size calzone. I put the stuffing on one side and then I folded over the dough to form the calzone.
    I then proceeded to melt butter, mix garlic powder, parsley, and parmigiana cheese into it, took a brush and spread it out over the dough. I put the calzone in the oven for 20 minutes until the dough became brown. After letting it cool, I cut into the calzone and took a bite.
    The calzone wasn’t bad, but there was a lot of bread. I thought there should be more filling inside, but other than that, I didn’t have any complaints. My parents seemed to enjoy it, so all in all, I call it a success.

1 comment:

  1. You ARE creative! I love the way you scraped together the ingredients. Lots of people here haven't heard of calzone. I made it for a friend awhile back. Now I feel inspired to bake a batch for my poor, deprived co-workers.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete